Thursday, May 16, 2013

J. Herbin Refillable Roller Ball Pen

(So here is a review without writing sample) J. Herbin Refillable Roller Ball Pen is a light-weight and short (just a bit longer than Pilot Petit) pen that takes standard international cartridges. I caught the nifty little thing at ISellpens.com when it was on sale for 6 bucks but it went back to $9.6 (so the seller that offers the best deal right now is Jetpens).

The pen is is a made of a slightly frosted plastic, it would take some degree of abuse (without showing too much of the wear and tear), the clip is pretty stiff and cap gives a crisp and secure click closure. There is three small holes at the end of the barrel so you need to get those taken-care of before converting the pen into an eye-dropper. 
The grip section is made of a clearer plastic that shows the feed. Inside the feed,  there seems to be a white cotton cord for the ink to diffuse through (it later got clogged by Noodler's No.41 brown, a ink with pigment that settles into small flakes).

There is a protruded ring (probably there so the tip will fit the inner sleeve inside the cap) that cuts my hand a little, but it wasn't too big of a deal (at least I prefer this over the trigonal grip). Bumped or not, prolonged writing session is not as comfortable since the pen is a bit too light, as I prefer heavier one that rests by itself.

When I first got the pen, I intend to use it with a waterproof brown ink, as a cheaper alternative to buying the brown Sakura Pigma Micron. Syringe-filled with Noodler's No.41 Brown (the culprit), it worked pretty well during the first few days, laying down a consistent and thin (around 0.5mm) line with a bit of shading...Then it just got clogged. I tried to revive it with flushes and days of (just water) soaking but it has never been the same...

Verdit: It's a good pen (while it lasted), just play safe and use watery inks for it.

5 comments:

  1. I filled my first J. Herbin Rollerball with a Diamine ink, if I remember correctly and it clogged almost immediately. Then I gave it to a friend thinking it was because I was left-handed that it was causing me so many issues. She is left-handed too and cleaned and refilled it with a different ink and had no issues. So, I bought another one and used a mystery blue cartridge I had laying around and I've had no issues.

    I definitely think you have to experiment with the inks in the J. Herbin rollerballs but when you find the right ones, it works like a dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know some diamine inks that leave powdery/pasty precipitate. But the thing with noodler's no.41 brown is that it both precipitate and stain so the solid just clogged the feed. I tried to ink the pen with J. Herbin ink and the line coming out is just very uneven... Maybe I will soak it again (for a few days) and see if will write again.

      Delete
  2. I just bought one, but I got some J. Herbin cartridges for it rather than using bottled ink. I love it so far, and after reading this, I may just keep using cartridges and not press my luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I suppose you can still syringe fill empty cartriges with J. Herbin inks? I use up ink pretty quickly so I don't normally buy cartridges (they just come with pen), the sample vials/bottles are just much more economical.

      Delete
  3. I just got the refillable pilot pen from EZ Office Products here in Madison WI. And I love it!! Anyone else use it? http://www.ezop.com/guides-demos/refills-for-pens-pencils-erasers-highlighters-markers/begreen-a-pilot-brand/

    ReplyDelete